Before you pack your bags and head for Quincy (pronounce it Quin-zee, not Quin-see, to blend in with the locals!), here’s what you need to know about what to bring to your room and what to leave at home.
- Twin-sized bed linens (extra long) blanket, pillow
- Mattress cover
- Towels, soap, shampoo, etc.
- Desk lamp (non-halogen lamps only)
- Laundry detergent, laundry bag
- Trash can and trash bags
- Clothes hangers
- Surge protectors
- Bed spread or comforter
- Curtains and curtain rods (may also be purchased locally)
- Small microwave
- Coffee maker
- Small refrigerator, no larger than 2.4 cubic feet
- Wall decorations
- Computer, stereo, television, etc.
- Coaxial cable
- Ethernet cable
- Small lock box or safe
for valuables and medications.
Don’t bring it (not permitted in residence halls)
- Used upholstered furniture.
furniture is allowed only in Young apartments and must comply with California Technical
Bulletin 117 fire code. Furniture must have an attached tag with the
code listed. Personal non-upholstered furniture made of bamboo or rattan
is not permitted. Upholstered furniture is not permitted in
non-apartment residence halls, but loveseat sized futons may be used as
long as the mattress has an attached tag showing it complies
with California Technical Bulletin 129 or BFD 1x-11.”
- Toasters or toaster ovens, hot plates, crock pots, space heaters
- Halogen lamps
- Pets (birds, animals, reptiles; fish are permitted in an aquarium no larger than 10 gallons)
- Wall decorations that are sexually suggestive or advertise alcohol or tobacco
- Candles, incense, tart or potpourri burners
- Propane, gasoline, fireworks, guns and ammunition, hunting knives, bows and arrows, or any other weapon
- "Tube" TVs
Telephones can be provided for each resident upon request. You will not need an answering machine, since each phone is equipped with voice mail.
Each student is assigned an in-room data line. If you plan to bring your own computer and access the ENC network you will need a network cable. The cable could be bought in our campus store when you arrive on campus or can be purchased at your local computer supplies vendor. Wireless connection is available in most areas on campus.
If you plan to connect to the ENC network, you will need to follow the instructions provided by Information Technology Services to install anti-virus software on your system. Information Technology Services is available to assist as needed.
If you plan to apply for campus employment, you will need one of the following:
- Driver’s license and social security card
- Driver’s license and birth certificate
- State-issued picture ID and social security card
- State-issued picture ID and birth certificate