Accreditation and Affiliations
FERPA and Directory Information
Final Exam Schedules
Honors Scholar Program
Schedules and Courses
Social Work Objectives
The mission of the Social Work Department at Eastern Nazarene College is to prepare graduates for entry level generalist social work practice, and/or to attend graduate school to obtain a Master’s Degree in Social Work, with a liberal arts education as a foundation. With Jesus Christ as our example of the transformative servant leader, students will be guided by Christian principles and the congruent social work values and ethics to become true change agents. The overriding emphasis of social work is to promote the social functioning of individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities, and to promote social and economic justice.
The Social Work Program at ENC is designed to develop specific social work competencies and Christian values in the social work major. The following goals have been established to this end:
1. Contribute to the fulfillment of the educational and mission goals of Eastern Nazarene College.
2. Provide opportunities within the social work curriculum for students to integrate their faith and learning experiences.
3. Prepare students for informed community participation through responsible citizenship, compassion for the oppressed, and advocacy for social justice.
4. Prepare students for employment in beginning social work practice with individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities in a range of geographic areas with socio-cultural diversity by providing the professional foundation required for generalist practice.
5. Provide a foundation for practitioners’ professional futures, including preparation for traditional or accelerated graduate study in social work, and emphasizing continuous self-study, learning, and flexibility.
The following Program Outcomes are consistent with those established by the CSWE (EPAS, 2008) for the graduates of baccalaureate social work programs and reflect the purposes of the profession of social work. In preparing students for generalist social work practice, the following outcomes are assessed. Students will be able to:
Identify as a professional social worker and conduct oneself accordingly.
Apply social work ethical principles to guide professional practice.
Apply critical thinking to inform and communicate professional judgments.
Engage diversity and difference in practice.
Advance human rights and social and economic justice.
Engage in research-informed practice and practice-informed research.
Apply knowledge of human behavior and the social environment.
Engage in policy practice to advance social and economic well-being and to deliver effective social work services.
Respond to contexts that shape practice.
Engage, assess, intervene, and evaluate with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
Begin to integrate the knowledge, values, and activities of the profession of social work with a Christian orientation to service (i.e., for those students identifying with the Christian faith).
Eastern Nazarene College
23 East Elm Ave.
Quincy, MA 02170
© 2014 Eastern Nazarene College